Every little girl dreams of a Cinderella and Prince Charming wedding. And who would blame her? From the glow of the soft candle light in the garden to an ocean side destination wedding it’s the bride and groom’s special day.
Of course, the happy couple is focused on planning their special day, not on what could go wrong. Yet it’s all too common to have a wedding dress damaged or worse, it’s lost on the way to the destination wedding, or a hurricane causes the wedding to be postponed, or even worse, the wedding venue closes due to bankruptcy, and many more disasters.
The average wedding costs approximately $35,000. And, of course, you want everything on your special day to go off without a hitch.
Personal finance experts recommend the following when planning your wedding:
1. Read the Contracts
It is imperative to read every word of any contracts, especially the venue contract. Many times you may cause yourself more expense than necessary. As some contracts include requirements you have no intentions of implementing.
2. Purchase Wedding Insurance.
- Coverage is available for weather related postponement of the wedding or if essential people in the wedding party can’t make it to the venue due to the weather, illness or death.
- Deposits for the cake, photographer, videographer, flowers are covered if your vendors do not show up for your special day.
- Important attire such as the wedding dress, tuxedos, and apparel worn by the wedding party are also covered.
- Coverage is available for repair or damage to gifts and wedding rings.
- Liability and host liability is additional coverage that is available to cover if a person is hurt or damage occurs to the wedding venue. Host liability will also protect you from injury or damage as the result of serving liquor at your wedding.
3. Consider Coverage for your Honeymoon
Honeymoons can be almost as expensive as the wedding. Your homeowners or renters insurance will usually cover your lost personal property (baggage) but there is a coverage limit. Your credit cards may offer some coverage, so check with your card company for specifics. Travel insurance will cover for trip interruption or cancellation; emergency medical and dental care; emergency medical transportation, and baggage loss or damage.
There are many decisions to be made for your special day. If you find yourself facing a disaster, make sure you have the coverage to help protect yourself from financial loss. We can’t stop bad things from happening, but we can help you pull off the perfect wedding.
Donna makes sure you get the best wedding protection at the best price.